Professional piano movers use distinctive procedures designed for moving pianos. It is not recommended to own move because this can cause piano damages and injuries.
Experts need to know the weight of the piano before moving it. Large upright pianos are very heavy and require more manpower. Heights can be about 65 inches with over 800 lbs in weight. The smallest piano’s height is about 54 inches with a weight range of between 6-600 lbs. The grand pianos’ height extend up to 108 inches and weighs between 1000-1200lbs
While moving the piano, one should consider both the weight and the shape. The symmetrical shape of the grand piano requires professional services, and patience.
The following procedures are followed when moving upright pianos:
1. Lifting one end and setting the dolly- Lay a blanket beneath one end. Three people then lift the other side to place the dolly in the middle
2. Stabilize the piano on the dolly- Grasp both the ends of the dolly touching beneath the piano making it steady.
3. Swathe the piano’s periphery- use blankets to cover and fasten with a cord ensuring the blanket holds the piano.
4. Move the piano- Each side should have a person holding while moving the piano on the level ground.
5. Moving on the steps- move the dolly up until the front wheels rests on the step then slant the side uttermost from the step downwards. While the wheels rests on the step, elevate and push the piano from the back side making the rear wheels raise into the first step. Two people should be at the bottom side to guide the front wheels
6. Truck- Load the piano to the truck through the ramp.
Professional movers can use cranes to move the piano instead of stairs. This minimizes the risks involved like injuries to movers or damaging the piano.
Professional movers are contracted to move the piano within the house or within the piano room. Adhere to the following instructions
While moving the piano within the house:
1. Hire a minimum of four workers
2. Ensure they are in good health
3. Avail hand gloves for protection
4. Cover the piano
5. Ensuring the lid is locked
6. Show the movers where to move the piano
7. The piano is placed on dolly for easy movement thus not damaging the house or the piano.
8. Lifting and pushing is done by the sideways
9. Hold the handle all the time while rolling
Care should be taken not to break the piano’s legs while moving within the house. Some professional movers use extra workforce to lift the piano up while rolling to ease pressure on its legs.
For overseas moving, professional piano movers transfer the piano to freight forwarders to ship the piano abroad. A lot of precaution measures are undertaken and some documentation. The owner should arrange for insurance cover and for storage facilities
Moving the piano is risky, labor intensive, involving and tricky. Whether it is within the house, house to house, long distance or international moving, professional piano movers should be contracted.